The Affordable Care Act (ACA or “Obamacare”)
The Affordable Care Act includes sweeping changes and a number of options in healthcare coverage. Ohio has chosen to use the federal exchange for health insurance. The federal exchange is located online at Healthcare.gov.
The federal exchange will open October 1, 2013. If an individual wishes their health insurance to begin January 1, 2014, they must enroll by mid-December. Open Enrollment will close March 31, 2014.
There are three methods an individual can use to apply for health care insurance: mail, online at Healthcare.gov, or by calling 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Assistance is available in multiple languages. For Spanish speaking consumers, CuidadoDeSalud.gov is also available.
There are also a wide variety of resources available online that provide information about these options, and how to choose what is best for you. Heights Libraries staff can direct patrons to those resources.
Heights Libraries staff are not trained or licensed to provide advice or to assist you in selecting a specific health plan, but can provide information and direction to public resources about the Affordable Care Act that will help you make your own choices.
Read the Affordable Care Act.
- The Ohio Department of Insurance’s Frequently Asked Questions section on federal health care reforms
- Kaiser Family Foundation’s flowchart for The Requirement to Buy Coverage Under the Affordable Care Act
- Kaiser Family Foundation’s video, The YouToons Get Ready for Obamacare: Health Insurance Changes Coming Your Way Under the Affordable Care Act
- Consumer Reports free guides to health care reform and Medicare
- AARP Health Care Reform Law Fact Sheets
- Medline Plus, administered by the US National Institutes of Health, which presents information on medicine and healthcare in easy-to-understand language.
- Rural Assistance Center Health Reform Topic Guide
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has Key Features of the Affordable Care Act and fact sheets.
- American Public Health Association Health Reform Resources
- WebMD’s Health Care Reform: A Guide to Health Insurance and Affordable Care Act
- Veterans and the ACA from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs